Google Maps Navigation
Finding a location
You can search for any location in Google Maps, using an address, post code or place name.
- Click in the Search bar near the top-left corner of the screen
- Type the location you wish to view
- As you type, all matches will be listed - click on the match you wish to view, or press Return to find the best guess
The location will be centred on screen and a pointer displayed to show the location you searched for:
Using satellite view
As well as viewing a standard map, you can also show Google Maps in satellite view, where you can see all roads, buildings, etc. in the same way as on Google Earth.
To show satellite view at any time, click on the < button to hide the data menu, then click on the Satellite button near the top-left corner of the screen.
Zoom in and out
There are a number of ways to zoom in and out of a map:
- Click on the + button near the bottom-right corner of the screen to zoom in, and the - button to zoom out
- Double-click on any area of the screen to zoom in on that area
- If you have a wheel on your mouse, scroll up to zoom in on the screen, or down to zoom out
You can change the magnification of the browser to make text bigger or smaller on screen.
In Google Chrome, this can be done as follows:
- Press Ctrl + to make the text larger
- Press Ctrl - to make the text smaller
Street view allows you to zoom right into the map and see the road and buildings from the street. You can navigate along a road to explore all of the buildings, and can look around to see exactly what you need to.
To use street view:
- Navigate to the location you wish to explore
- Click on the Pegman near the bottom-right corner of the screen and drag it to the location of the map you wish to explore
Street view will display:
- To move around, position the mouse in the direction you wish to move and click the mouse on the road where you want to stop.
- To look around, click and drag your mouse. You can also use the arrows to the left and right of the compass.
- To zoom in or out, use the wheel on your mouse or the + and - buttons in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- To position your Street View north, click on the compass in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- To return to the standard Google Maps view, click on the Back button near the top-left corner of the screen: